NEW for 2024, a 4 night fully catered long weekend, or mid week break which includes a 2 day Treasure Hunt exploring Cognac and the surrounding area. Follow the clues on scenic routes along the riverside and through rolling hills of vineyards and pretty villages; a fun immersive experience learning the secrets of distilling Cognac; delve into the history of the area and even have time to relax on the chic Il de Re on the Atlantic coast.
The daily scenic routes will include:
- Stop off in Cognac to explore the history and architecture of it’s historic centre
- Visit to the Cognac Ecomuseum to learn the history of Cognac production over 2,000 years from the discovery of the barrel by the Gauls to the planting of the first vineyard by the Romans in the third century. Explore the reconstruction of how the family of this Cognac Domaine lived in 1850. Then visit the distillery which produces Cognac and Pineau to learn the magic of the double distillation and the famous "angels' share"
- In an old cognac cellar, enjoy a discovery game, (using your nose) to identify the fruity, floral, woody and spicy scents of the natural aromas produced in the production of Cognac and Pineau…. As well as the scents of Cuban cigars and chocolate!
- The visit ends with a tasting of the XO Fine Bois and Grand Champagne Cognacs, and the opportunity of savouring an authentic Cuban cigar from the family reserve whilst relaxing in the Mirador, which offers 360 degree panoramic view high over the vineyards
- Visit the beautiful 15th century Chateau Rochecourbon. Resurrected in the early 1900s, the third generation of this family still lives in the chateau which has been beautifully restored including the gardens and lake
- Finish your holiday with a day of relaxation visiting the chic Il de Re on the Atlantic coast- take the famous toll bridge and wander through an unspoilt island of white washed houses and take in the atmosphere of bustling harbours lined with art galleries, boutiques, cafes and restaurants.
|The tariff of £695 per person (2024) based on a minimum of 8 guests in May, June or September includes:
- 4 nights accommodation in a single, double or twin room with ensuite shower/private bathroom
- Coffee/tea and cakes on arrival
- Breakfast each morning
- Welcome 3 course dinner with aperos, wine, coffee & Cognac on first night
- 3 course restaurant lunch x 3 days (drinks not included)
- 2 course supper with wine at La Rose des Vents x 3 evenings
- Entrance fees to all places visited/guided tours
- Route book
- Reserved parking at the various destinations
If guests wish to extend their stay, additional nights can be reserved at a cost of £65 per person, per night on a B & B basis. A selection of scenic routes will also be supplied so that they can explore more of this beautiful region.
A maximum of 12 guests can be accommodated at La Rose des Vents for this event, with accommodation available in both cottages and the Manor House. All bedrooms have ensuite shower rooms or private bathrooms.
Please note that Channel Ferry/Tunnel crossings are not included.